How To Use Small Claims Court

Short Description

Useful in the collection of dues or owed money because of damages of less than $1000.00.

Target Audience

Treasurer, Finance Advisor, houisng Corporation

Borradaile Challenge or Area of Focus



To provide an expedient and inexpensive means for citizens to collect money damages of less than $1000.00.


Referees hear the cases and judge the credibility of the plaintiffs and defendants. Most individuals represent themselves.

How to File:

  1. Fill out a statement of claims at the Municipal Court. You will need to know the current address of the defendant.
  2. Bring two copies of the contract or promissory note.
  3. Be prepared to wait five weeks for the hearing to occur.

How the Court Can Help the Plaintiff Collect:

  1. Garnishing the defendant’s savings and checking accounts.
  2. Selling the defendant’s personal property.
  3. Garnishing the defendant’s wages.
  4. Placing a lien on the defendant’s real estate.

Did you find this information useful? Do you feel you can improve upon it? Are you an expert in another area? Join the site and edit or create new resources for Phi Kappa Tau.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License

SSL configuration warning

This site has been configured to use only SSL (HTTPS) secure connection. SSL is available only for Pro+ premium accounts.

If you are the master administrator of this site, please either upgrade your account to enable secure access. You can also disable SSL access in the Site Manager for this site.